Friday, June 25, 2010

Scone Home


This is really not the time of year to fire up the oven and do some baking - but I can't help myself. I took the day off work and whenever I do that, I usually end up baking in the afternoon. I don't know why...a comfort food thing, I guess. What's not so comfortable now is the temperature in the house. What with the mid-80 degree temps outside and the hot oven inside, I'm serious sweating. But TOTALLY worth it for these Pumpkin Banana Scones.

The recipe is almost entirely Vegan Dad's pumpkin scones recipe. But I had two very ripe bananas I wanted to put to good use somewhere, and I didn't feel like my usual banana muffins. I took the recipe and doubled everything except the pumpkin. That's where I added in my bananas to compensate. Results - fabulous! Thanks for the inspiration, Vegan Dad!

Pumpkin Banana Scones
4 cups whole wheat flour
2 tbsp. baking powder
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
1/2 can pumpkin puree
2 medium ripe bananas, mashed
1 1/2 cups almond milk
6 tbsp. canola oil
4 tbsp. maple syrup

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Whisk together the dry ingredients in a large bowl and set aside. In another bowl, whisk together the remaining wet ingredients. Pour the wet mixture into the dry mixture and stir until combined. Drop large spoonfuls onto a cookie baking sheet and bake for 12-14 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment